www. AustralianHeavyHorseForums .com.au

Questions, answers, notices & chat about Clydesdales, Shires, Percherons and other breeds of draught horses downunder & overseas also - (To bookmark this home page, type Ctrl D)
Site Announcements

Welcome to the newly upgraded Australian Heavy Horse Forums Please take your time to look around. It contains all the posts and topics from the 'old' version forums, but has a new address and look! :mrgreen:

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

NEWS:

Post subject: Comfrey
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:49 am 
User avatar}

A vet has suggested we feed Comfrey leaves to the horses...small amount, but have read some interesting facts on the herb ( is it a herb??)...not into herbs...but the Gypsies used it alot and it was called knitbone....also grown in large amounts as fodder in the past.....can cause liver damage if fed in very large (huge) amounts....like some feed back...........

Cath and Tony

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 am 
User avatar}

Cath, this is what Country Park Animal Herbs has to say about Comfrey

COMFREY LEAF - Symphytum officinale - What a wonderful herb! Has been used for thousands of years as a herb with abilities to mend broken bones. Has the same result on wounds, tendons, fractures, sprains, ulcers and cartilage. The allantoin content in comfrey is believed to accelerate the production of replacement cells, thereby minimising the possiblity of scar tissue, arthritis and proud flesh. Comfrey should only be used for a short period of time and the leaves of the plant are used orally or as a compress.

Hope this helps

The Country Park website - http://www.countrypark.com.au - is a good one if you want to know more about herbs and they are very helpful people. They are based on the Gold Coast and in NSW. I still have an 'open mind' as to how much they work or not.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:25 pm 
User avatar}

My mother-in-law is a massage therapist (no I don’t get anywhere near the number of massages I would like :lol: ) But she has always rubbed us down with comfrey cream whenever we get hurt. I tore all the ligaments in my ankle and struggled getting the bruising and swelling to go away even with intense physio. Within 2 weeks of starting to apply the cream every day, the bruising was gone and swelling all but. She swears by it and I’ve seen it at work….so if it can do that on the outside, it would only have a more concentrated effect on the inside…hence the recommendation for small doses as it would have the ability to over stimulate the production of various reproducing cells….sorry science teacher getting carried away….good stuff, I’ve never fed it to an animal but I have rubbed it on myself!!!

Post subject: feeding comfrey
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:20 pm 
User avatar}

I had amare years ago who had a bad injury to the stifle joint, if she layed down she couldnt get up by herself, I fed her a couple of comfrey leaves a day, it helps with connective tissue problems, Werribee Animal Hospital had never seen an injury like it, anyhow she ended up sound and I rode her for many years. I feed my boy herbs, Rosehip for general health, garlic for everything, but have a break for a few weeks, he loves them.
kugelmans.com have a great range of herbs and know their products.
Bliss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:04 am 
User avatar}

I have used it on myself and my dog we both have arthritis and is good for aching bodies, the cream that is

Proudly supporting -

www.heavyhorseheaven.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:39 am 

Our furries (not just the horses) help themselves to comfrey leaves when they get into the herb garden, and Mum used to coat young leaves in a light batter and feed them to us as fritters.

Although it is not always the case that 'stuff' that is OK when used topically is safe to be taken orally, I'm still hale and hearty and so are our furries :wink:

I did do a literature search on comfrey toxicity some time ago when I was told that it was illegal to sell the herb in Australia (at that time it was apparently OK to sell the plants, but not the dried herb), and if memory serves me well, the article that caused the original furore was based on data generated by feeding rats huge quantities of the isolated active ingredients, not the whole leaf.

I'm not saying that it is 100% safe in all situations, and am always of the belief that we should all take responsibility for our individual health (ie: not putting things in our mouths just because someone else says it's OK. Even if they are a doctor :roll: ), but, hey, drinking too much water can be pretty harmful (especially if it goes down the wrong way and ends up in our lungs).